Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Cold Hard Truth About Me and Minnesota Winters


If the truth be told, and it should be, I hate winter. Hate is a strong word, and I often caution my kids that they shouldn't just throw that word around carelessly, but I do. I hate winter. Usually.

I was born and raised right here in the Frozen Tundra. I have borne each of my children here and am currently raising them here, here in the cold and snowy state of Minnesnowta.

I detest being cold, though I do love a cozy sweater and I adore wearing knee-highs. Cold makes me tense, literally. My shoulders tense up and it moves up my neck. I have "a bad neck", so extra tension means extra pain, which often creeps right up to the base of my skull and beyond, leaving me with chronic severe headaches. Cold is not my friend.

I also despise the days and days and sometimes weeks and weeks with no sun. Cold and gray is an unpleasant mix which leaves me feeling sad and sluggish and a bit dull in the head. I require full-spectrum bulbs, vitamin D supplementation, and plenty of coffee.
I have been known to have some fun out in the snow, (though I would much rather be basking in some warm sun)- I used to downhill ski. I have enjoyed some cross-country skiing. I love a good sledding outing. I even managed to get out for a wintry walk this year. Like many Minnesotans, I grew up with a snowmobiling Dad, and will admit to enjoying the ride enough not to mind the fuel smell we walk in wearing when we're done. For a few minutes, then I mind. Unlike many Minnesotans, I have not, however, gone ice fishing, and I don't ever plan on doing so.

Living in Minnesota while not liking winter means that in this land of 2 seasons (winter and road construction), I would actually rather be stuck in slow traffic in a congested construction area than cold and surrounded by snow. I would. It's sad. I know.

Most of my children are much heartier than me and seem to be impervious to cold. That makes me happy. I adore their pink noses and cheeks. A pink (and often dripping) nose on my face is far less endearing. Trust me.

All that being said, even I have to admit that sometimes winter in this Frozen Tundra can be beautiful. Breathtaking. Amazing. Don't you think so?

A day like this now and then makes it a little more bearable... and then I wish it would all melt into spring.


4 Comments:

Blogger MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

Brrr... I cannot imagine living in Minnesota! But you are right... the snow is beautiful. It covers the land in a peaceful blanket.

At least until it turns to ugly polluted slush. :)

February 13, 2010 at 11:07 PM  
Blogger Kris Ann K. Erickson said...

I'm one state over in Wisconnie - and it looked JUST like this here this a.m. - and as I drove to a morning appointment, I WISHED that I'd brought my camara ... it is so beautiful! (Even though it is tension-provoking .... teehee)

Enjoyed the pics - and praying for a heat wave!!!

February 13, 2010 at 11:20 PM  
Blogger trooppetrie said...

i love to look at the snow and ice but i can not imagine living with it. i can not stand the feeling of being cold.

February 14, 2010 at 7:18 PM  
Blogger Melissa Stover said...

those are lovely. i love a bright blue sky when there's snow. makes beautiful pictures.

February 15, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails