Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Happy Anniversary to Who?

How many of you got a good chuckle reading Monday's list? Those of you Constitutional scholars surely noticed our case of mistaken lesser known holidays. Did you miss it? It's ok, take a moment, go back and read #236, I'll wait.

I have to admit, I had a good chuckle, at my son's expense, this morning when I went to add the Young People's Concerts we ordered tickets to (if you're local, check them out, how often can you go to Orchestra Hall for $3-$6 a ticket?) to our wall calender. I glanced at this Friday, the day we were planning on having our little Constitution party, just because...

It was one of those child's delight-led learning moments, on Monday, when our 10 yr old was excited to tell about the anniversary (and I didn't think to look it up! that'll learn me, maybe) and I went with it. Sometimes we just go with it, it's one of the sweetest delights of our lifestyle of learning. I said we should celebrate. We have extra cake mixes, why not add a little fun to our Friday?

He had already started reading "Father of the Constitution, A Story of James Madison" (a book he pulled off the shelf for free reading, all on his own) and had the Constitution on the mind. In excitement about a Constitution party, he grabbed some paper, crumpled and flattened and colored it yellow, to resemble an old document, and filled it with lines of scrawled pretend cursive. It was quicker than actually writing it all out, that might be a bit too much copywork. He took the big feather from the woodsman hat (think Robin Hood) to use as his quill pen. He was set, except for the white powdered wig, but there was time for that.

And then I looked. And I laughed. Out loud.

There it was, "(M)".

I guess there is still time to read about Mexico's Constitution...
Maybe we can have some burritos with our cake.

For inquiring minds- September 17th.

(Constitution Day, "US")

Labels:



4 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Why ever not celebrate the Constitution? Any excuse for a pardee!!

February 3, 2010 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

This made me laugh!

February 3, 2010 at 7:45 PM  
Blogger myletterstoemily said...

how adorable! art linkletter really had it right, "kids say the darndest things!"

February 3, 2010 at 9:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love it! It's something I would do. I love burritos, so it's a win win right?

February 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails