Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Proverbs and Parenting


A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.
Proverbs 17:22
(italics not mine, it's printed just like that in my KJV)

This has been one of my favorite verses for years. I love it and read it over and over again. I meditate on it as often as I need to, and that's pretty often.

You see, I have a long history of battling a very real depression. All of my looking for the good in things, the humor in things, the blessing in things, doesn't come naturally. It's a conscious decision, a decision that on some days is so hard for me to make. Those are the days when the decision to be merry or to find the merriment is even more important. For me, it's necessary.

Like so many things in life, especially hard things, it comes easier with practice. And so I practice, and I encourage my children to practice. We practice joy. We practice laughter. We practice merriment. We try to have fun, good clean fun, and it does our hearts good.

"but a broken spirit drieth the bones"- what happens to things that are dried? I've lost enough plants to know about dryness. Things become hard. They become weak. They become brittle. They break.
The opposite of dry is wet. (Brilliant observation, I know.) Really wet is saturated, and that's how I want so badly to be- saturated with joy, soaked through and through, to the bone.
It's how I want to be, for me, which is even more important because of my role as a parent, a Mother, a life and soul shaper. And so I set my mind on things of Him. He's teaching me joy. He makes me merry and it does my heart good. When my heart is doing good, then I am better equipped to be the Mother I strive to be. Then I can share my merry heart and it doeth them good as well. I want to do them so much good. By His grace, I will.

Labels:



8 Comments:

Blogger myletterstoemily said...

so very true. we have more control over our
emotions than we realize.

saturated with scripture, it's hard to get dry and brittle.

February 17, 2010 at 9:07 PM  
Anonymous crystal m said...

Totally off subject, but you make some seriously cute kids. :)

February 17, 2010 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

She is SO cute! I know it's not on the subject, but SO SO SO cute!

February 17, 2010 at 10:33 PM  
Blogger Jessica Kramasz said...

What a beautiful post. It's so true. Thank you for calling our attention to this verse and it's practical application to our daily lives.

February 18, 2010 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger Traci said...

Right now the verse "Hope deferred maketh the heart sick" touches on what I've been battling--again. The verse you are referring to, to me, is a good 'antidote' to make it through this winter. I struggle in similar ways, as you know, and this time the Lord has met me in a deeper way. I am still processing things, hence my 'silence'. His word has been a good medicine for me and when I partake in its nourishment I find what I need to go on. Of course, the opposite of that is strikingly true as well.
Bless you my sweet friend.

February 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger t does wool said...

beautiful post Ali~

February 18, 2010 at 5:37 PM  
Blogger trooppetrie said...

i think i am going to try and print this off to use as part of our devotion today. i am working on new verses to put around our house and this is a great one.

February 19, 2010 at 7:12 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Beautiful, inspiring post. We ARE soul shapers, aren't we!!

February 22, 2010 at 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails