Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Simple Buttermilk Biscuits


Oh, how I love a good biscuit. So do my children. And so does my husband. It works out good that way.

The other day, on a whim, I decided to make our 10 yr old, Jaron, my little sous chef/baker biscuit apprentice. It was great fun. We should definitely do that more often. Soon to be 9 yr old Liberty has dibs on the next tandem baking slot.

We made 2 batches, 2 bowls working side by side. I demonstrated. He imitated. Everyone ate a hearty brunch of biscuits with sausage gravy, a little bit of southern comfort food on a cold Frozen Tundra* winter morning. So good.

*Minnesota, or Minnesnowta

I prefer to make these with 1/2 all-purpose flour and 1/2 freshly ground whole wheat flour. You can make them with all white flour, and they'll be tasty, sort of like restaurant biscuits, but they won't have much, if any, nutritional value, and may act sort of like glue in your intestines. Just sayin'. You can make them with all whole wheat flour, but they'll be a bit more dense and gritty, and you'll probably only like them if you're the real crunchy sort. I love them with 100% fresh ground whole wheat, but the rest of my family prefers 50%... I aim to please.

My recipe is similar to, if not the same as, many others out there. Some use shortening, some use 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter, and some use all butter. I've written mine out to be flexible and listed the options right there. I believe in being creative and making things your own. What makes my biscuits my biscuits is that I almost always use at least half freshly ground whole wheat flour and all butter. I have an ongoing love affair with butter and wouldn't dream of making my biscuits with anything else. Not everyone feels that way, so wrote in the shortening option. You're welcome.


Without further ado, here is my recipe for our ordinary...

Simple Buttermilk Biscuits

2 c all purpose flour (or 1 c + 1 c whole wheat flour!)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter or shortening (I use butter!)
1 c buttermilk

Sift together dry ingredients and then cut in butter or shortening. Mix in buttermilk to make soft dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead/fold 4 or 5 times and roll out to approx. 1/2" thick. Cut with biscuit cutter, place on greased pan, and bake at 425˚ for about 15 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!

Perhaps the favorite and funnest part of making biscuits is the hand shaping of the last bits of dough. If the truth be told, and it should, those biscuits are my favorite biscuits! I always have had a soft spot for those 'different' ones, people and biscuits...

So how about you? White flour? Whole wheat? 50/50? Butter? Shortening? Biscuits in a can?

Labels:



10 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Looks yummy...and you can't go wrong with butter!

February 16, 2010 at 7:17 AM  
Blogger Momof3inVA said...

I love making drop biscuits from the Jiffy mix (I know, not the best, but so, so easy)....I do make homemade sausage gravy to go on top...from scratch.

I may have to try your recipe though...they do look good! Ummm, I love any type of bread.

February 16, 2010 at 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Crystal said...

Will they be different tasting with crisco vs butter? I've heard butter is better than margarine but it is better for you health-wise than crisco? We have a TON of it and now I'm trying to figure out how to use it up!

February 16, 2010 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger myletterstoemily said...

i can't wait to try your recipe. love that you're teaching
your kids to cook alongside you...the best way to teach
most anything.

blessings,
lea

February 16, 2010 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger trooppetrie said...

do you grind your own week and if so, what kind of grinder do u have. i really want a wheat grinder

February 16, 2010 at 7:05 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I do grind our own wheat! I have a Whisper Mill and may write up a post about our love of fresh ground wheat pretty soon!

February 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Amanda said...

I think that last paragraph is SO sweet... and really reveals what a tender heart you have for Gods children!!

Blessings-
Amanda

February 17, 2010 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger Traci said...

Mmmmmmmm...biscuits. I can almost smell them! I am with you on the 'as au natural as possible' and butter is better, all the way. Making homemade buttermilk is on my ever growing 'Things to Make from Scratch' list.
Tandem cooking/baking is a common occurrence around here too. Fun, fun!
:D

February 18, 2010 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger myletterstoemily said...

just made your whole wheat biscuits but didn't have
any buttermilk so i substituted good yogurt.

divine!

thanks for the recipe.

February 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 11 yr old son has been wanting to cook more. This will be perfect as he loves biscuits. (This will be the first time any of us has made them from scratch.)

I'll go with all butter, shortening is all trans-fat. And definitely with 1/2 whole wht. flour as I do with pancakes.

Thanks for sharing!

February 24, 2010 at 5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails