Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Reach for the Stars!!

Sonrise Scholars Reading Marathon
November 2009

Our marathon program benefits the reader (we have 3 solid readers and an emerging reader or two or three), the reader's family, and the Sonrise Scholars Co-operative that our family is so excited about being a part of this year. Students participate by reading as much as possible (yay!) and finding sponsors to support their efforts through pledges.

Benefit program as follows:
  • 60% of the pledges provide new Usborne Books to the participating student (Yay!)
  • 20% of the pledges provide tuition funds for the participating student's family (every bit helps!)
  • 20% of the pledges provide cash to the Sonrise Scholars Co-op (for expenses like the awards they give the children at field day, etc...)

Participants reading 1,000 minutes or more will receive special recognition and a medal (My oldest 3 are definitely shooting for at least 1,000 minutes, my Teenager actually thinks he'll top 2,000 and I believe him.)

They have two weeks. 1,000 minutes in 14 days means 71.43 minutes a day, which should be easy for my eager readers, especially if they keep up with the pace they started out with last night, which was their Day 1. November 30th is their last reading day, everything gets turned in Tuesday, December 1st.

***If I understood what I just wrote correctly, that means we are within 2 weeks of December. Take a moment to collect yourselves, then continue reading***

Would you consider sponsoring one (or more) of our readers? I'd love to drum up some online support for them! Let us know here in the comments, being sure to include your email address so I can contact you with a Paypal invoice. Any amount will help and encourage our readers, I'm sure!

Our oldest 3 are off to a good start, here are Day 1 totals (they only had a while in the evening to read after we got home from a busy day)-

  • The Teenager, Ian - 90 minutes
  • 10 yr old, Jaron - 60 minutes
  • 8 yr old, Liberty - 30 minutes

Our 6 yr old is finally getting over her reading hump, with some letter sound blending finally 'clicking' the past couple weeks. I'm so very excited about that and can't wait to see her reading take off as she discovers more words she can decode! Maybe watching her siblings get excited about reading, and earning more books to read, she'll cath some excitement herself- a homeschooling Mom can hope...!!!

Day 2 totals are looking good for our oldest 3, that 1,000 minutes looks well within reach!

I'll try to post their daily totals and accumulative totals as we countdown our 14 days of reading- We'd love it if you'd keep checking back and cheering them on!
Thanks, in advance, for all of your encouragement and support!



4 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Did you change your header? I like it!

Email me - hj_christensen@yahoo.com
I would love to pledge towards your readers. Good for them. I love to read and pray that my children will too!

God bless - Holly

November 18, 2009 at 10:54 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Yay! Our 1st online pledge!! Thanks so much, I'll e-mail when I get a few moments in the morning!!

November 18, 2009 at 11:14 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

And yep, I changed the header a bit. I've been tweaking here and there... :-)

November 18, 2009 at 11:15 PM  
Blogger Cascia Talbert said...

Sounds like a great fund raiser! My kids love books.

November 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails