Thursday, October 15, 2009

I Have Ten Apples Up On Top


Actually, I have many, many, many, more than that. I fear there may be more than we can get through- but we are trying!

We were blessed with a short-notice outing to an orchard owned by a friend of a friend (you see, sometimes it's all about who you know) last weekend. It was cold, freezing actually, with some snow on the ground and more in the forecast. They needed some bodies, and we have several, so off we headed to glean what we could glean. They told us we could take home as many as we wanted, for free, if we would just help in cleaning off a tree or two. What a blessing!

I washed, stemmed, and quartered way more apples than I ever thought it would take to make 6 quarts of applesauce- that was a bit of work. This afternoon's activities involve the dehydrator- I'm super excited about these, though again with the work, work, work. My children can eat through a bag of dried apples faster than you can say something cute and apple related, so if I'm going to want any dried apple snacks in, say, more than a week, I'm going to have to dry a LOT of apples, and I guess that's okay, because that's exactly what we've got left- a LOT.

There will be a pie tonight, and maybe a crisp, and then another pie...

Apple pies make good breakfasts, don't they?

Enjoying them,
because of Him-
ali


4 Comments:

Blogger Traci said...

Yes! Apple pies are good for breakfast! Around the turn of the century or so they were a staple for loggers and other manual laborers. Each would get 1/4 of a pie for their meal (along w/flap jacks, biscuits, meat, coffee, etc). I'm thinking there should be a revival of that era...well, as far as apple pie is concerned!
:D

October 16, 2009 at 2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want more... email me! p-fraga@msn.com
we have too many apples, and TONS more was can pick.

Jayne (The apple lady)

October 17, 2009 at 10:29 PM  
Blogger MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

Of course they do!

You have your bread and fruit in one serving. It doesn't get more nutritious than than, unless it is a la mode!

October 19, 2009 at 12:21 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

I'm having pizza for breakfast this morning, so I'm sure an apple pie would be a much healthier choice ;)! I love apple crisp!

October 28, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails