Saturday, December 12, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Winter

It's about time. Really. I mean, I'm not even a fan of winter, oh yes, it's pretty and all, I'd even say beautiful right after a snowfall, but I don't like being cold, not one little bit. Ever since that time, way back when, that I spun across 3 lanes of 35W in freezing rain, only to be hit by an oncoming car, right at my driver's side door (at least it wasn't the dock truck that hit me, he swerved and missed), leaving me stunned but uninjured and able to drive home, well, ever since then, I'm not a fan of winter driving either. Seeing as I was 18 and I didn't get my license until I was 17, I've pretty much never liked driving in a Minnesota winter. I do it, every year, but I don't like it.

My winter issues aside, it really doesn't seem quite worth it to live in Minnesota and have a year like this. The middle of December and our first real snow? First lasting cold snap? There was that frozen apple weekend, but then it's been beautiful, sunny days even, most of the time since. I had one child that needed new boots, and we didn't get them until this week. A couple more weeks and we probably could have found them on clearance. Oh, and I just bought an ice scraper for my windshield, in mid-December, because I haven't needed one yet!

Well, winter may have finally hit outdoors, but it was time it hit indoors as well! Move over autumn decorations (my favorite!), it's time to bring on the Winter Wonderland at the Ordinary home!

These 3D Paper Snowflakes are so much fun to make. Our 4 yr old was able to make some of the parts, with guidance, and the 6, wait, she's 7 now, 8, & 10 yr olds couldn't get enough. Our precious little 2, wait 3 year old, these recent birthdays haven't fully sunken in, played with extra paper and some decorative scissors and pretended to make some flowers...

They're easy fun, seriously, they're not nearly as complicated as they look, and there's essentially no mess, unlike the confetti-fest you have to vacuum up after when making traditional paper snowflakes. Trust me, if you're making more than one snowflake, that difference is a big difference.

If you can't get through this season without cutting tiny bits and pieces for a traditional snowflake, try this virtual snowflake maker- you'll love it. Seriously.

Labels:



3 Comments:

Blogger CM said...

Thanks for the snowflake idea. I know what you mean about boots. This week, I suddenly realized my 3 year old (duh) doesn't fit into his last year boots anymore! Off to Target we go tomorrow :-)

December 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Thanks for the reminder. We made this snowflakes last year, but I forgot all about them. After the "flurry" of Christmas is over, we'll have to pull out the paper.

December 12, 2009 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Gae said...

Thanks for the snow flake link. It is the only way our children get to see snow!
Our 3 year old keeps saying he can't wait for Christmas because he will see snow. We keep telling him it does not snow in Australia for Christmas but he keeps hoping, perhaps too many DVD'd depicting Christmas with snow
Blessings

December 20, 2009 at 7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails