Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Lord Hears


This morning's reading in my Experiencing God Day-by-Day, The Devotional and Journal, spoke to me in so many ways.

"God has designed His kingdom so that Christians with kindred spirits join
together."
Matthew 18:20 tells us, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." The devotional goes on to say, "If you are carrying concerns about your family or your church or your friends (I would add 'or your homeschooling'), ask God to bring like-minded believers around you to share the burden with you in conversation and in prayer. Don't attempt to bear your load of cares on your own. You may pray about them, but you will miss the blessing of uniting together with a group of believers who join together to intercede for one another and to enjoy God's presence. Everything God has woven into the fabric of His kingdom promotes interdependence, not individualism. As you face your concerns, deliberately seek out believers with whom you can stand and share your load."

We all have our very own challenges and concerns. Some days I can't bear to list mine, for fear of admitting just how many I have. Lately, I've been battling the old battle of not feeling adequate or able to do the many tasks set before me, not the least of which being the enormous task of homeschooling my 7 children.


I've known for several years about a homeschool co-op in the town we live outside of. We even visited once, the fall after we moved up here, but I was a bit overwhelmed with the structure of it all, and thought it was a bit much effort for us at the time (then we had an 8 yr old- the only one who was schooling at the time, a 2 yr old, and a nursling). It wasn't a good fit at the time. Fast forward 8 yrs, seriously, they went fast, and we now have a just turned 16 yr old, a 10 yr old, 8 yr old, 6 yr old, 4 yr old, 2 yr old, and a just turned 1 yr old. Things are different, times have changed. Their structure still overwhelms me (it's incredibly organized, with 3 different classes for each age group, hired teachers, supervising Moms, snacks, games, crafts, amazing, really) but I definitely see the need for it, considering the size of the group (I can't remember, but I think there are close to 100 children!).

Our children love it, I knew they would! I love it, too. I'm loving meeting new mothers who face many of the same challenges and have the same concerns about educating and discipling their children. I love that there's a Mom's group, where we can sit and talk. I didn't think I was going to like that. Why?! Anyone who knows me knows that I can chat all night with the best of them, but for some reason I wasn't feeling the 'need' to sit and talk with other Moms, who were complete strangers to me. The thing is, after just one week, I realized that this group of women were not strangers, at least I sure didn't want them to be. These were/are new friends, and I count myself so very blessed to have found them and to have finally taken the step to connect with them.

Last week one Mom offered a praise report that was such a blessing to hear- She had been feeling completely overwhelmed with getting it all done, helping with her husband's business and trying to keep up with homeschooling, and she poured out her heart to a friend who didn't just lend an ear, didn't just pat her on the back with an encouraging 'hang in there, you can do it', didn't even offer the often used, yet ever-so-shallow, 'I'll pray for you' only to walk off and forget about it (not intentionally, I know, but we all get right back into being caught up in our own concerns so easily, admit it, we've all done it). Her friend stopped what she was doing and prayed, right then and there. Now that's a friend, and I really think that's what Christian fellowship should look like. This Mom was so encouraged, and she said that her relief was almost instant, the burden lifted, her stressful times were not so overwhelming anymore, that she's able to find and feel the peace she desires and needs so much right now, in the midst of her personal storm.

We prayed as a group, we prayed for our homeschooling, for our children and our Mothering of each one, for our roles as wives and homemakers. It was such a blessing.


I think that, over the past few years, I've gotten so busy with my growing family (and it's a good busy- don't get me wrong!) that I have, for some time, unintentionally withdrawn from some of the fellowshipping that I used to thrive on. My family is my top priority, second only to my walk with God, and I don't intend to start leaving them high and dry to join every fellowship group available to me- that would be the wrong kind of busy, but I am so thankful for this particular group of Mothers, bearing burdens that look very much like mine, to share with and walk together with on this journey of faith as we endeavor to teach our children and work to prepare them to live and walk victoriously in this life.

Whether you are a homeschooling Mom or not, people need people, people need fellowship. As Christians, we will always have the Lord, even in times of utter solitude, but for those of us not in solitary confinement, let's remember the additional blessing of coming together with kindred spirits and thank Him for them!






Labels:



7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

wow i am blessed i've come across your blog.. Your a amazing woman (don't know you personaly but anyone raisin 7 children is to be praised) and in the way of the LORD even MORE...I will pray right now that our Father give you all the strength and perseverance you need to continue taking great care of the ministry our lord entrusted you with..:)

Whenever you need prayer just stop by my blog a HOLLA at me :) will join you anytime for prayer..God bless

October 29, 2009 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Nutmeg said...

I have a friend who is so good about praying right then and there for me. I love her dearly.

Thanks for stopping by the blog! I've enjoyed yours!
Amy

October 29, 2009 at 10:59 PM  
Blogger Journeying Five said...

what a great post. it is easy as a homeschooling mom to get lost in that and all the tasks, we really could never stop...but to allow time for relationship and support is really important!

October 30, 2009 at 1:30 AM  
Blogger Traci said...

I'm glad you have found a group of people who are like-minded and who face many of the same challenges you do. I'm sure it will be very rewarding!

The pics of the leaves are great too. It's one of the best things about autumn!

October 30, 2009 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

Sometimes it can feel awkward when you make the decision to start, but praying right then and there with a friend (in person or even on the phone) is amazing. I have never once regretted doing it! But I have often regretted not doing it.

November 1, 2009 at 1:01 AM  
Blogger Beckypdj said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Seven children oh my you are abundantly blessed! "Christians with kindred spirits", that blessed me. It is difficult sometimes to make time for the fellowship with "kindred spirits" but so vital.

Thanks again for the comment.

November 3, 2009 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

I just found your blog today and loved reading this. We have a 6 month old and I have known for some time that I will homeschool her (and subsequent children should God bless us with more) and there are days when it feels so far away and days when it seems so close I can taste it! I know there are days when it will be hard and enjoy reading things like this to know that it is possible. Thank you and what a cute family you have!

November 15, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails