Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Words for New Readers

As we get back into the swing of things around here, there are a few changes taking place during this fresh start to a New Year time. New daily checklists, new home school goals, and some new flash cards for a new reader. I know, that was a phrase, not a complete sentence. I just went over that whole concept with Liberty, our 3rd grader, yesterday. Sometimes I write phrases, sometimes I like it that way. I still write the way I speak, even if I am a recovering English major...

Anyway, I took a few moments yesterday to whip up some new flash cards so Grace could keep working on new words. Decoding is finally clicking with her, and it's time to add in a few important sight words. This is a child who is easily overwhelmed if the stack of cards gets big, so we'll be changing it up often, keeping the stack to about 12 words at a sitting, and she'll be getting more than one sitting a day so the repetition will add up to memorization and eventually to instant recall.

I have decent printing myself, and have usually just used a marker in the past. With Grace's slower recall (never ceases to amaze me how different our children are!), I wanted to eliminate any inconsistency with letter shape that might be present in a stack of hand written cards. I decided to print out some words and cut and paste my way to some nice and neat flashcards that are not only consistent, but also pleasing to my perfectionist personality. Kind of nice how that worked out.

Now it's time to read some stories!







1 Comments:

Blogger MBC Scrapbooking said...

That's a great idea to type out the flash cards. My daughter is pretty young but I'm trying to get her to learn some letters. As you said, she might recognize a more consistent "typed" lettering instead of my handwriting. Thank you!

January 7, 2010 at 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails