Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sunday Hymn

Holy Bible, Book Divine
by John Burton

Holy Bible, Book divine,
Precious treasure, thou art mine;
Mine to tell me whence I came;
Mine to teach me what I am.

Mine to chide me when I rove;
Mine to show a Savior’s love;
Mine thou art to guide and guard;
Mine to punish or reward.

Mine to comfort in distress;
Suffering in this wilderness;
Mine to show, by living faith,
Man can triumph over death.

Mine to tell of joys to come,
And the rebel sinner’s doom;
O thou holy Book divine,
Precious treasure, thou art mine.


This simple old hymn is so loaded with truth about that book that I know I should have my nose in more often. "Mine to teach me what I am", so true, for without the knowledge of the goodness of God and of His holiness, I would not know what I am, a sinner poor and needy, in need of Him. "Mine to chide me when I rove", well, I have been known to wander, and His words have been known to convict me, they are, after all, sharper than any two-edged sword. Yet, He is so good, "Mine to show a saviour's love", He is so good indeed.

"Precious treasure, thou art mine", my prayer this morning and this new year, is that I would truly see the Bible as the treasure that it is, that I would hunger and thirst after the words on its pages because they reveal to me who He is and what He has done for me and for anyone who will call upon His name.

I will be attempting, along with many others out there, to read my Bible through in 90 days, starting yesterday. That is a lot of reading, but it is a Good Book, in fact it's The Greatest Story Ever Told. I'm looking forward to what the Lord has for me and for my family this year and I do truly expect to be blessed by reading through His word again (and again and again and again would be awesome!) just by getting to know more and more of my God by reading more and more of who He reveals himself to be in His word. I'm excited to face the beginning of this new year, I hope you are too!

Labels:



2 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Yeah! Bless you this morning! Holly

January 3, 2010 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Kris Ann K. Erickson said...

Hi! I am following you! May God bless your journey in the next 90 days - and beyond!!! My first trip through the Bible took me about 2 years, so I cannot imagine 90 days!!! Wow!!!

January 5, 2010 at 12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails