Tuesday, December 22, 2009

And A Little Croup to Boot


As long as the asthma's flaring up, why not make it interesting and throw in a little croup? That's what the triage nurse thinks is happening here, after describing, and yes, imitating the sounds that I was hearing through the stethoscope placed on Dazzle's back this morning. While she does have some typical squeaks and high pitched wheezes, a lot of what I was hearing this morning was a different noise, known as stridor, which is indicative of an upper airway obstruction, something along the lines of croup.

Hoping to avoid oral steroids, which I commonly refer to as "the big guns", we're upping her pulmicort to 4 times a day. As she doesn't have a fever, she is probably not developing a pneumonia, at least at this point, though we were urged, as usual, to head on in if she spikes a fever. I know that. They know I know that. They still have to say that.

So the plan is to keep up with the nebs 4 times a day, more often if needed, with both albuterol and pulmicort, for 5 days, and then ease back if she seems to be over it. If it does the trick, then, yay! No oral steroids! Have I mentioned how I don't like putting my babies on oral steroids? Yep, I thought so.

What else is going on around here? (What? You mean life doesn't come to a stand-still when one of our children is sick?) Well, regular schooling is in light mode this week, and next. We may not actually celebrate Christmas ourselves, (uncommon, I know) but with friends, family, & Daddy! having several days off of work, there will be some fun visiting going on, just because we can. We've been doing some rearranging (our bedroom!!) and cleaning (our bedroom!) and there are some pictures to hang and maybe even a little painting to be done soon and very soon!

I'll be using this week and next to plan and plot out the rest of our homeschooling year, and to revamp our daily checklists and schedules, for they are always changing- does that make them living, breathing, documents? Just curious. I may also tackle a new monthly menu and accompanying grocery list, inventory the pantry and freezer, and some more baking. Yep, I just started salivating at the thought of my favorite cookies, there should definitely be some more baking.


3 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Praying for good health over there! And I love to hear that others take inventory of their pantry and freezer...I actually keep a list of what is in my chest freezer. Merry Christmas!

I never sent your kids their book money...should I just mail it to you. Email me - hj_christensen@yahoo.com

God bless - Holly

December 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Queen Mommy said...

I'm glad to hear that your little one is handling this illness okay. I know from experience how quickly things can turn! We hate oral steroids too, so I really hope you guys are able to avoid them this time. You're a great mom to be so on top of things! :-) Oh, and like you, I'm a heavy sleeper....until one of my kiddos is sick. Then I wake up at every little noise. LOL Merry Christmas!

December 22, 2009 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger The Redhead Riter said...

I have asthma so I know exactly how she feels. Last Christmas my asthma flared, I got bronchitis and then it turned to pneumonia four days before the great holiday. I pray she will feel better soon!

January 1, 2010 at 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails